Saturday, January 19, 2013


An hour later Chloe stared at herself in a bathroom mirror with bad lighting.  Her normally warm and tan complexion was becoming pasty and less than healthy looking.  She pulled out her make-up bag and began reapplying her mascara and lipstick.  Feeling a little more confident she took a deep breath and headed back to her workplace.  Or more like her counter. 

“You look lousy doll, what’s wrong?” Beth inquired.  Chloe smiled, only Beth could pull off such a brass question with sincerity.

“I just haven’t been sleeping much.” She sighed as she reached for a box of cat food.  Beth handed her a price gun and continued with her own task of pricing dog food. 

“Ya still got that nightmare goin’ on?”  She asked pulling her blond hair back into a ponytail.

“Something like that…so I met this guy this morning…” Chloe began as she set the price into the gun. 

“Yea?  No wonder you’ve been re-applying the make-up!”

“No, it’s not like that.  Which is too bad, but I got the strangest feeling from him,” she said as she began stacking up the canned goods.  Her hands shook with a subtle reminder that she hadn’t eaten yet.  She took a deep breath and tried to steady herself.  The room began to spin as she reached for another can of questionable meat product which was supposed to be good for animals.  Beth stopped and looked at her, her sky blue eyes filling with worry.  “Chlo- honey, why don’t you git yerself a cup a jo, and make me some while you’re at it.  I’ll finish up those cans for you.”

“You know, for once I’m not going to argue with you.  I’m so worn out, I could use another cup.  I had like 3 cups this morning before I left.  But don’t do all the cans- I’ll be able to handle them.”  She slowly walked past the isles of dry and wet pet food, each can bragging about their superiority compared to the other.  Six years of higher education, and this is where I wind up.  I hope Aunt Erin doesn’t see this from heaven; but then again I guess I shouldn’t dwell on the past.  Once opened, the road of memory lane can’t be denied.  As she poured the coffee her mind flashed to the office she had worked at just a few months prior.  Every morning she would prepare coffee for the doctors and their associates, prepare the files and start her day.  Suddenly she found herself gainfully unemployed due to new laws and regulations that she should have tried to understand, but just couldn’t.  Bringing her mind back to the present, so returned to the front with two piping hot cups of coffee, hers resembling a milkshake and Beth’s the color of night.  Beth had ignored Chloe’s request and had priced and stacked the case of cat food herself.  Secretly grateful, Chloe pretended exasperation and placed their coffee on the counter.   Chloe and Beth had become instant friends when Chloe started at the pet food store.  Beth reminded her of her own mother, a heart of gold and a transplant from Alabama.  She could be little overbearing at times, but then again, what married woman of five wasn’t?  “So, tell me more ‘bout this boy of yers” Beth asked as she dusted herself off. 

“The creepy guy from this morning?  There’s not much to tell, he was---well, interesting looking.  He had these eyes-”

“Oh?  Blue or brown?”

“Something in between, darker than mine but not quite black.  But they were intense you know?  He was waiting at the bus stop when I arrived, but then he didn’t get on the bus.  It was so strange.”

“Honey, maybe he was waiting for a different bus.  And when you getting’ that car outta the shop?  It’s getting cold you know.”

“Believe me you don’t have to remind me of that, and no, there’s no other bus on that route.  Mix that with my crazy, creepy ass dream and yeah, I want some sleep.” Chloe yawned as she sipped her coffee.  The front door rang and they were greeted with the day’s first customer. 

“Excuse me, can you tell me where I can find cat food?” An obese man wearing a rather strange animal skin hat inquired. 

“It’s where it says, Cat Food.  Over there.” Chloe bluntly said, pointing towards the front door.

“Well, you don’t have to be so snippy about it.”

“Sorry?  You asked a question, I just answered.”

“Where’s your manager?”  For crying out loud, what is this guy’s problem?!  Lying, Chloe pointed to Beth who was currently engaged in an animated discussion about fish food.

 

            The day seemed endless.  Most of the day passed without incident; customers coming in and telling her endless stories about their beloved four-legged children, asking her for help to their cars with their purchases; telling her about their family problems- ever since she started this job Chloe thought that she should charge for psych evaluations.  She never knew that strangers could be so open with one another.  She recalled her own family, as close as they were- they were also very distant.  Be sure to keep everyone at arm’s length away, darling.  You have such a big heart, and knowing you’ll just give it away to the first person to come around.”  Her mother’s words rang in her ears, and she knew that she was right.  She was constantly being teased by those close to her about being in love with love and trusting everyone.  Was it her fault that she believed that all people were generally good?  What was so wrong with wanting to believe in honesty and integrity?  The sudden noise from falling can brought her back to reality and sent her jogging over to help Beth.  Feeling watched, Chloe spun around and almost walked into an old couple with a hostile looking Yorkshire terrier in their arms. 

“Oh I’m so sorry!  I didn’t see you there!”

“That’s okay dear.  Listen hon, can you help us find some food for Fifi?  The poor thing doesn’t seem to like the duck much.”  The lady with thinning purple hair, less than straight eyeliner, and mismatched outfit told Chloe.  She glanced at Beth to make sure that didn’t need her help; Beth nodded and began the journey down the dog food isle. 

            Nine hours later, Chloe stretched and arched herself backwards to relieve some of the tension in her lower back.  “Chlo honey, you want a ride home tonight?”  Beth offered, walking by and squeezing her shoulder.  “I’d love one actually.  Do you have dinner plans?”

“Just the same ol’ same ol.  Fixin’ somethin’ for the kids.  Then fightin’ with my husband.”

“Aw, are things that bad again?”

“No, I’m just playin.  It’s been so much better since he been out travelin’.  Why don’t you come over for dinner?  I’ve got a bottle of wine that needs openin’.”

“Hmmm…..I’d love to actually.  Is there a chance I can crash on your couch?” Chloe asked, trying to control her voice.  She didn’t want to admit that she hadn’t slept in a week and that she was now seeing everything in multiple. 

“Damn girl, how much you planin’ on drinkin’ tonight?”

“Oh no, I didn’t mean like that.  It’s just- uh- I’m freaking exhausted.  I can’t even remember the last time I slept all the way through the night.” She finally admitted and began to study the intricate design of the concrete floor.

“Of course it’s okay, suga!  I’m just worried about you.  I don’t wanna seem rude, but you don’t seem like yerself.”

“I’m not.  So I can come over? Oh wait, I don’t have anything with me…”

“That’s okay I’ll take you home, you grab a few things and then we’ll go to my place.”  Beth winked at her and Chloe felt herself blush, it made her uncomfortable when people were being too nice.             

No comments:

Post a Comment